Is there any way to add a Firewire port to this Hp PC?

I have an HP 15-r011dx and I’m wanting to use my Canopus ADVC-100 to hook up to my old VCR to convert old VHS tapes to DVDs. Problem is: the Canopus requires a computer that has at least a Firewire 400 port. I’ve seen the firewire ports available to install for other PCs, I just have no idea where it would go on THIS PC. If anyone has any ideas I’d really appreciate the help. Thanks!

P.S. If all else fails w/the PC, I could always use my MacBook Pro which has a FW 800 port, so…

crwdns2934081:0crwdne2934081:0 crwdns2934083:0crwdne2934083:0 crwdns2934093:0crwdne2934093:0


crwdns2889612:0crwdne2889612:0 0

Thank you @danj for your speedy response! I had a feeling this was going to be the answer, but I really appreciate knowing for certain. I am much more familiar with Macs than PCs so, again, thanks!

And I DO already have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with FireWire 800 as I mentioned, so I guess I’ll be using THAT for this conversion process after all.

Also, thanks to @jayeff for anticipating my NEXT question about whether or not I could use a USB to FW converter. Seemed dicey, but thanks @danj for confirming my thoughts about that, too. Seems like when you’re in the process of converting analog to digital, the less weird interfaces the better, yes? :)

All the best! —TW





Sorry no means to add it to your system. If you had a desktop you could have added a PCI interface card.

You’ll need a MacBook Pro from 2011 or older which has FireWire.


crwdns2889612:0crwdne2889612:0 3


Hi @danj ,

Just for my info would one of these work or are they too basic?


I don't know of any real signal conversion adapters for FireWire (IEEE 1394) to USB either USB-A (USB3.0/3.1) or USB-C (USB 3.2). You could use this Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter but this system doesn't offer Thunderbolt (any version)

Think of it this way... I can use UTP cabling with both Ethernet and Token-Ring networks but plugging in an Ethernet connection into a Token-Ring hub won't work or vice versa.

Many of these cheap adapters only allow you to use a different cabling system for something else (not something I recommend in any case), not really allow you to plug in the signal into a different interface.

Just like plugging in your POTS phone into your AC outlet. You'll get a good buzz - electrical shock! It won't work and you'll likely damage something too ;-{

There's a lot of snake oil salesmen out their!




Traveled Woman crwdns2934231:0crwdne2934231:0

crwdns2936751:024crwdne2936751:0 0

crwdns2936753:07crwdne2936753:0 1

crwdns2936753:030crwdne2936753:0 7

crwdns2942667:0crwdne2942667:0 637