crwdns2894164:0crwdne2894164:0

My phone got wet and it turns on for a while then powers off.

So my phone got wet at the beach. I believe that it was in the water for less than a minute and when I realize that it was wet I check on it and it on but it was saying overheating. The thing is that it wasn’t even hot. Later I tried to turn it on but it didn’t turn on. However I tried my best to dry it and then after a while it was able to power on but the same problem occurred. It would turn on for a minute or so and then say it was overheating and then power off. And for whatever reason it doesn’t allow me to charge it. I was wondering whether to change the battery and replace the Charging Port PCB Board. Or was the mother board damaged?

crwdns2893852:0crwdne2893852:0 crwdns2913956:0crwdne2913956:0 crwdns2893862:0crwdne2893862:0

crwdns2894050:0crwdne2894050:0

crwdns2889612:0crwdne2889612:0 0
crwdns2892346:0crwdne2892346:0

crwdns2886779:02crwdne2886779:0

crwdns2893810:0crwdne2893810:0

Hi @manny25

The water causes corrosion and provides circuit paths for the electricity which were not in the phone's operating design and could damage the components. The corrosion starts immediately and doesn’t stop until it has been properly cleaned away.

Do not try to charge or to turn on the phone and remove the battery as soon as possible so as to minimize any further problems.

Then you need to disassemble the rest of the phone and clean all the affected parts using Isopropyl Alcohol 99%+ (available at electronics parts stores) to remove all traces of corrosion. Do not use "rubbing alcohol" as in some cases this is only 70% IPA or less, can contain additives and is not as effective. If you do have to use it, check the label to verify the amount of IPA. The higher the concentration (%) of IPA the better

Here is a link that describes the process. Electronics Water Damage

As always with electronics, especially surface mounted pcb, be gentle when handling and especially when brushing away the corrosion. You do not want to remove any components from the board. You will also have to remove any shields that may be covering some components as the corrosion may be under them as well. Also the ends of any flex cables and the connectors need to be cleaned as well.

Hopefully after you have done all this the phone might possibly work correctly again.

Here is a link to the ifixit Samsung Galaxy A50 Repair guides that may help.

If this process seems too daunting, take your phone to a reputable, professional mobile phone repair service, experienced in liquid damage repair and ask for a quote for a repair. If you decide to do this, do it sooner than later. It isn’t going to fix itself.

crwdns2894046:0crwdne2894046:0

crwdns2889612:0crwdne2889612:0 1
crwdns2892346:0crwdne2892346:0

The battery may be bad. Lithium ion batteries dont like water. Try replacing that first before anything

crwdns2894046:0crwdne2894046:0

crwdns2889612:0crwdne2889612:0 0

crwdns2893872:0crwdne2893872:0:

I will get a new battery and I'll see if that was the problem. I'll be back in a week or so to say if it did fix it.

crwdns2893770:0crwdnd2893770:0crwdne2893770:0

@manny25 @ me when

crwdns2893770:0crwdnd2893770:0crwdne2893770:0

crwdns2892346:0crwdne2892346:0

crwdns2893896:0crwdne2893896:0

Manny crwdns2893898:0crwdne2893898:0
crwdns2894754:0crwdne2894754:0:

crwdns2894766:024crwdne2894766:0 1

crwdns2894768:07crwdne2894768:0 5

crwdns2894768:030crwdne2894768:0 31

crwdns2894770:0crwdne2894770:0 554