Disk Repair can't fix HDD, legal documents and freedom in jeopardy
My iMac is old, I won’t deny you that but it has always been in good shape.
Recently, during the pandemic, it stopped starting up, taking a loong time to load and eventually turning itself off. I did the hard reset by pressing the button in its back for 10 seconds, turned it on again and then it took me to “OS-X Disk Utilities” where I chose “Disk Repair”. Following quick instructions I found on the internet,
I was able to try to use the “First Aid” function with no success. I got the message “First Aid process has failed. If possible back up the data on this volume. "Click done to continue”
Which makes me very sad since I have legal documents I depend on to defend myself against mexican authoritarian corruption. I wish to be able to take out the data with external drives, I hope it’s possible.
- Model number: A1225
- 24" / 2.93GHz / 4GB / 640GB / 256MB
When I clicked on “info” from the faulty HDD this came up:
- Volume name —- Phoenix Arise
- Volume Type —- Physical Volume
- BSD device name —- disk0s2
- File System —- OS X Extended
- Connection —- SATA
- Device tree path —- IODeviceTree:/PCI0@0/SATA@B/PRT0@0/PMP@0
- Writable —- No
- Is case-sensitive —- No
- File System UUID —- 69F55DE5…
- Volume Capacity —- 639,275,270,144
- Available Space —- 0
- Free Space —- 0
- Used Space —- 639,275,270,144
- Owners enabled —- No
- Is encrypted —- No
- Can be verified —- Yes
- Can be repaired —- Yes
- Bootable —- No
- Journaled —- No
- Disk Number —- 0
- Partition Number —- 2
- Media name —- Customer
- Media type —- Generic
- Ejectable —- No
- Solid state —- No
- Parent disks —- disk0
And the First Aid states the following:
- Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
- Checking extents overflow file.
- Checking catalog file.
- The volume Phoenix Arise could not be verified completely.
- File system check exit code is 8.
- Updating boot support partitions for the volume as
- File system verify or repair failed.
- Operation failed…
I guess it goes along saying that I will be endlessly grateful for any sort of help that you could give, since I really fear to lose my legal documents.
I know those types of things should always be backed up, and I do have some of it, but not all and it is very important.
I got involved as a witness of a crime and the criminal was famous and had me jailed with no legal reason, in México it’s easy to buy judges for like 7 grand. So, when it rains, it pours, but I know I can rescue something from this. Thanks again for reading and considering. Saludos!