Second generation of iPhone. Model A1241 / 8 or 16 GB capacity / black or white plastic back. Repair is more straightforward than the first iPhone. requires screwdrivers, prying, and suction tools.

crwdns2886949:01148crwdne2886949:0 crwdns2858137:0crwdne2858137:0

Think I've been sold a dead iPhone 3G... - Logic Boards?

Recently bought a iPhone for the missus that she was really happy with. It was a 2g iPhone that we got really cheap becuase the guy didnt know how to restore it.

I restored it - and it works - great.

I ended up then buying a 3g one for myself. The guy explained that it boots to the apple logo and you can get it to display the ITunes logo ready to sync.

What he didnt say is it will only do this on mains power. Once you remove the power cable it instantly dies.

First I thought battery, but no - it doesnt show the charge logo so it cant be a poor battery not holding charge can it? otherwise it would have the red battery logo all the time surely?

so I decided it must be the charging dock.

I ordered the parts, they arrived and I replaced the dock. interestingly enough - while i was inside I noticed the water labels had been tripped on both the dock and the lower part of the logic board. (oh ****).

ever the optimistic, I replaced - cleaned what I could with nail polish remover and rebuilt. I also checked for volts across the PCB battery terminals - which indicated 1.5v. - so I assume the battery has charge?

long story short - (or not) I'm not fixed.

still does the same think and im more ££ down.

your thoughts? new logic board? - does anyone know where I can get them cheap?

should I cut my losses?

no other water sensors are tripped - i.e. top PCB / headphone jack and so on.

tell me its not dead!!!!!

crwdns2893858:0crwdne2893858:0 crwdns2893862:0crwdne2893862:0


crwdns2889612:0crwdne2889612:0 -1



It sounds like the battery is below the charging threshold. A LIon battery needs to be around 3.7V for the charger to kick in. We usually dismantle the phone and connect the battery directly to a 4.2V source with multimeter attached to see when it reaches 3.7V, usually it takes only a few mins to get to 3.7V. Once this is done, you can connect the USB cable and charge normally.


crwdns2889612:0crwdne2889612:0 1

Hey tetsuo,

thanks for your help - after putting the board into another phone it turned out to be the battery!

Despite the water damage the phone worked a treat!

I just have one now that doesn't connect with the computer. It charges in computer / in wall charger etc and I can put it into DFU easily it just doesn't prompt windows...

Tried different connector docks/ USB wires etc..


Thanks again



crwdns2889612:0crwdne2889612:0 0


Neil crwdns2893898:0crwdne2893898:0

crwdns2894766:024crwdne2894766:0 0

crwdns2894768:07crwdne2894768:0 0

crwdns2894768:030crwdne2894768:0 0

crwdns2894770:0crwdne2894770:0 2,470